Byron Bay is not just a beach destination. This corner of northeastern NSW does have lots of sand, but it also boasts wildlife in the inland national parks, scuba diving in the Cape Byron Marine Park, surfing, whale watching, and shopping at weekly and seasonal farmers and artisans markets.
Most of all, Byron Bay is known for its laid-back atmosphere. What better way to embrace the experience than in a motorhome or campervan? This travel option allows you to move around at your own pace without having to worry about hotels or Airbnb rentals. A motorhome or campervan hire can also help you self-cater and bring some of the comforts of home with you as you visit this popular NSW destination.
DETAILS FOR BYRON BAY CAMPING LOCATIONS
If you hire a campervan in Byron Bay, here are the best camping locations there.
DISCOVERY PARKS – BYRON BAY
This motorhome park has both cabins and campervan/motorhome sites. The location is convenient, on the north end of the main beach area not far from the Cape Byron Lighthouse.
The park offers a range of powered and unpowered sites. However, you may need to meet a minimum stay requirements to reserve a spot. In addition to the sites, there is barbecue equipment, bathrooms (including a dedicated family bathroom), a waterpark and swimming pool, and an onsite cafe. Wi-Fi is also available, and there is a dumpsite and laundry facilities.
- Accommodations: Cabins, powered motorhome sites, unpowered camping sites
- Promotions: You can check for discounts for stays of four days or longer.
- Location & Phone: 399 Ewingsdale Road, Byron Bay, NSW (02 6685 7378)
Nearby attractions include Main Beach, the Cape Byron Lighthouse, and Wategos Beach.
INGENIA HOLIDAYS BYRON BAY
This 28-acre park has a range of camping options, including powered and unpowered sites. You can even get a place with a private bathroom and shower. Meanwhile, premium-powered sites have cooking facilities and access to a swimming pool, shower, and entertainment room.
Everyone staying at this Byron Bay camping location has access to a coin-operated laundry, communal entertainment room, and saltwater swimming pool.
- Accommodations: Cabins, premium powered sites, powered sites, and unpowered sites
- Promotions: Discounts available for mid-week travel, senior campers, and those who book early
- Location & Phone: 5-37 Broken Head Road, Byron Bay NSW, Australia (02 6685 6751)
Nearby attractions include Tallow Beach, which is directly adjacent to the park. Downtown Byron Bay is a 5-minute drive away.
SUFFOLK BEACHFRONT HOLIDAY PARK
Suffolk Beachfront Holiday Park sits directly on Byron Bay. This Byron Bay camping location offers both powered and unpowered sites. Furthermore, there are two types of campsites: smaller ones for a tent or campervan and larger ones for motorhomes.
In addition to free Wi-Fi access, campers can use laundry and barbecue facilities, public showers, and toilets. There is also an onsite cafe and bakery.
- Accommodations: Safari tents, cabins, campervan and motorhome sites
- Promotions: None listed
- Location & Phone: End of Alcorn Street, Suffolk Park, NSW 2481 (02 6685 3353)
This camping location is next to Suffolk Beach, which you can access directly without having to cross any roads. The centre of Byron Bay is five minutes away.
RUMMERY PARK CAMPGROUND
Rummery Park Campground is for those who want to focus on nature and have a more remote camping experience. This location is inland inside of the Whian Whian State Conservation Area. This park is best known for its mountain biking trails and scenic Minyon Falls.
There are 18 campsites at this location, with picnic tables, barbecue facilities, and toilets. Campers need to bring their own food, water, and other supplies. According to the park rules, you need to make a reservation before camping here.
- Accommodations: Tent, motorhome, and campervan sites. All sites are unpowered.
- Promotions: None
- Location & Phone: Peates Mountain Road in the eastern precinct of Whian Whian State Conservation Area (National Parks Contact Centre – 1300 072 757)
This location is also next to Nightcap National Park. Campers can access hiking and biking trails for the entire area.
The towns of Bexhill and Clunes are about 30 minutes away.
TERRACE RESERVE HOLIDAY PARK
Located on Simpsons Creek, adjacent to Brunswick Heads, Terrace Reserve Holiday Park has cabins and both powered and unpowered sites for campervans and motorhomes. There are waterfront sites for those who want access and views.
- Accommodations: Powered and unpowered sites
- Promotions: Discounts available for families and for booking a multiple-night stay
- Location & Phone: Fingal Street, Brunswick Heads 2483 NSW Australia (02 6685 1233)
Terrace Reserve Holiday Park is 20 minutes from the centre of Byron Bay. The location is ideal for fishing enthusiasts, who can visit the Simpson and Brunswick Rivers. A surf beach, Torakina Park, and the historic Brunswick Picture House are nearby as well.
BROKEN HEAD HOLIDAY PARK BROKEN
Head Holiday Park offers views of the ocean and coastal rock formations. This location offers both powered and unpowered campervan and motorhome sites. Both concrete slab and grassy surfaces are available. This holiday park also has a camp kiosk for necessities you might have forgotten and laundry, cooking, and barbecue facilities. Showers and toilets are also available.
- Accommodations: Cabins and powered and unpowered motorhome and campervan sites
- Promotions: No current listingsa
- Location & Phone: Beach Road, Broken Head NSW 2481 (02 6685 3245) This camping location is 7 km from the centre of Byron Bay.
HOW TO HIRE THE BEST MOTORHOME OR CAMPERVAN
The first step in planning a trip to Byron Bay is to hire the right motorhome or campervan for your needs. Luckily, there are plenty of options. A quality rental company will offer well-equipped models ranging from a two-person campervan to a fully-equipped motorhome that can sleep up to six.
You can choose the amenities that you need, including an interior or exterior cooking space and a shower and toilet. With these different options, your trip to Byron Bay can be as simple or luxurious as you want. Even if you are not planning to travel to Byron Bay soon, you can check out our motorhome and campervan options available for rent and reserve your chosen model early to be sure you get the best rate.