'Colors' slips explained buying a car

Buying a car in Australia will be very different from buying a car at home... are you getting lost in all the "colors" of paperwork you need to have? See here the explanation of different colors of slips.

- Rego: is your registration. This is the Australian state government tax allowing you to drive on the roads. Without an expired rego you are not allowed to drive on the roads.

- A Green slip: is an insurance policy that you must take out to be able to register your vehicle in NSW. It provides compensation for people injured in a motor vehicle accident. You buy your Green Slip when you are registering your vehicle. You can’t register your vehicle without one. CTP (Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Green Slip Insurance does not cover damage to your vehicle, other vehicles or property.

- Pink slip: an inspection report that verifies your car is safe and ready for the road. Cars registered in NSW must pass an annual roadworthy test, if the car passed safe it will get a Pink slip.

- A Blue slip (Safety and Identity Check): is required if you are selling the car without Rego, if you are re-registering your car from interstate, or if the rego has been expired for more than 3 months.